« Home | posting early but dating Oct 1 » | Have you seen this? The Last Knit » | Let's see. I finished a stack of dishcloths for th... » | yeah for me :) » | dishcloths » | anniversary » | at the rents house » | paton's classic socks » | CIC socks » | thursday's posting »

socktoberfest-knitting socks

from http://www.lollygirl.com/blog/ for Socktoberfest


When did you start making socks? Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I originally learned how to knit from a church friend when I was 14, but it didn't stick. I later retaught myself combo knitting, for the sole purpose of knitting socks, back in Christmas of '02. All I knit for the first year and a half or so were socks.



What was your first pair? How have they "held up" over time? My first two pairs were 2 socks on 2 straight needles, out of woolease. I still have them, mostly because they were the first knit things I made - no scarves for me! The first pair was pretty awful - I knew I was twisting my knit stitches, but it took a bit for me to figure out how to knit without twisting them. I didn't realize what I was doing was combo knitting... I don't really wear them much, but damn, are they pretty ugly looking socks!



What would you have done differently? Honestly, probably nothing. Making socks, just like knitting, or crocheting, or learning to read or any other skill, takes practice. Yes, they are horrible little socks, but I wasn't going to invest in fancy yarn until I knew that I was going to continue to knit. When I pick up a new hobby, I usually go overboard buying supplies, and I was determined not to do that this time.



What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? I love Opal sock yarn. I really love stripey socks, so Opal is the way to go. It blooms up so much after washing. I have learned though, that I really do like worstened weight socks the most during the winter, so I've made a ton of socks out of Knit Picks DK weight merino yarn - affordable, a decent color selection, and soft and warm. I also have made a ton of socks out of the Wool of the Andes, as well.



Do you like to crochet your socks? or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I have quite a few crocheted socks - as I am a crocheted socks designer. I prefer to knit on DPNs. I've learned the other methods, I just like the standard DPNs the most. I've also experiemented with knit/crochet combos.



Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?)

Flap, definitely. Short row heels just DON't fit me the way I make them, though I've received short row heels socks via swaps & stuff that fit me great. But when I make them, I can't get them on my feet, so I'm doing something wrong, I guess.


How many pairs have you made? alot. I mean, seriously, a lot. I've crocheted 2 pairs for my mom and knitted her 2 pairs, I've knitted Jon 6 or 7 pairs, and crocheted several pairs. I've knitted about 100 pairs of socks for CIC over the last few years, give or take. The last time I counted up the socks in my collection - skipping bed socks & socks received in trade - I had 60 something pairs. That is including my crocheted socks, too. Last time I added them up? 6 months ago, I think - it was springtime.

Holy COW!!! Sixty pairs of socks for yourself? I'm jealous. You must be a wiz at whipping them out. Still jealous and questioning whether you need me to knit you a pair ;-) Just kidding... I can't wait :-)

That's a heck of a lot of socks! Awesome.

Howdy- it's Lynne with the fair isle troubles from the MDKAL- I sent you a couple of emails last week and just want to be sure you got them. There were photos in the first, so it was LARGE! Please let me know- phil dot lynne at comcast dot net. Thanks!

I think it's really great that you design crochet socks. Do you ever publish patterns? I would love to try to crochet a pair of socks.

I aspire to have a sock drawer full of knit socks one day. I can only hope :)

Happy Socktober to you!

I want to be you when I grow up! You must have the happiest feet around. =)

Post a Comment

Links to this post

Create a Link

Current Projects

    log cabin afghan
    knit mitered square afghan
    granny square afghan
    quilted C afghan
    mittens for Akkol
    patchwork wool afghan
    design socks
    SocretPal Socks