« Home | CIC knitting & sock knitting » | happy Friday » | designing news » | UFOs, FOs WIPs » | still alive » | auction » | yard saling » | Summer of Stash » | How Abnormal Are You? » | spinning »

meme from Sara

From http://deneens.blogspot.com/ who got it from http://crochetallday.com/:


1. What inspires you first? The pattern or the yarn? Yarn. Definitely. I try & try to do it the other way - there are so many wonderful, beautiful, creative projects from other designers that I want to do, but it doesn't work that way most of the time (the exception being sock patterns). I have to fondle & play with the yarn, and it tells me what it wants to be. Sometimes I don't get as clear a signal - so I start something, and it just doesn't work out, so I frog & plan again. But most of the time, I pretty much right away know what the yarn wants to be.


2. If you are most inspired by pattern, where do you find the most inspiring patterns? Books? Magazines? Other blogs? A little of everything, really. I love blogs because I find out about patterns I otherwise wouldn't know about or have seen on my own. I'm a vintage junkie, so I get a lot of ideas/inspirations/starting points from my magazines. My favorites are mainly from the 60's, but I have a lot from the 20's as well. I've seen older needlework mags, but haven't bought any yet. They're usually about $5 for one, I can't reconsile (sp?) spending that much on one old magazine right now. I have a rather large book collection as well - from the 50's onto current books. Most are from the 60's & from the mid-90's to current. I have a large collection of patterns that were printed in local newspaper columns from the 40's-60's. The main columnist would publish her patterns, and others would write in & share their patterns. The great majority of those don't have pictures, and they are usually riduled with errors, but to me, that's half the fun of the patterns from the newspaper - they were just a bunch of non professional designers, sharing their joy/love of knitting and crocheting with others. The projects were mainly very quick & easy, so it's easy to figure out right away where the mistakes, if any, are.


3. Are you a member of an in person? group of knitters/hookers? Sadly, no. I would absolutely love to, but there's little interest in my area. I know of others in my area (via email) who have tried to start up groups, but no interest. Of course, when they tried setting up the group, I didn't even know about it, so I'm not sure how much advertising/listing they did to inform other crafters. My dream is to start up a local mixed media craft as art group - people who dabble in a wide variety of groups, who can help inspire & teach others in the group. I'd also really love us to focus on charity work, since that's a passion of mine, fiber wise & personally, as well.


4. Do you read a pattern all the way through before beginning? Yes, always, and sometimes more than once. The exception again is sock patterns. As I ONLY knit toe up socks, I usually skip the majority of the directions since they are usually written top down. Why bother reading the directions on stuff like that, when I'm going to reverse it all, anyways? Then again, I change patterns 99.99% of the time so much that the finished project usually isn't recongizable, anyways.


5. What is your gauge swatch record? I do knit gauge swatches almost always. I don't cut the end off, however, I leave it attached to the skein/cone & measure the swatch & the individual stitches per inch, and then frog & reuse that bit of yarn. For crocheting, I usually just wing it. I've been crocheting long enough, to know how I usually crochet with said yarn & said hook. If someone says an H hook, I know I'll probably need a J, so I trust my instincts, start with a J and work a bit. If it's a garment, I'll start the sleeve first & then check gauge. If I guessed right on hook size & my gauge matches, then at least I have the beginning of a sleeve done. Otherwise I only have to frog a fragment of crocheting as compared to if I started the body or front or back of the sweater.


6. What level do you consider yourself? Expert crocheter, except I don't do thread. I can't see the stitches, I don't have the patience, I don't want to do thread. I have probably crocheted everything with yarn that is possible to crochet, from the usual afghans & toys & hats & scarves & sweaters & tops & bookmarks & squares & bags, to making trash baskets using recycled grocery bags, rugs out of tee shirts, sweaters for my cat, etc. etc. etc.


Knitting is very hard to say - I'm good at fair isle/mosaic, changing colors, semi complicated lace. But I don't do cables. I knit ala Annie Modesit - combination knitting, she calls it. Because I have to do my decreases a little differently, I get confused way to fast trying to do cables cause my knit stitches sit differently. I do mini cables/fake cables, but haven't really tried too seriously to do more than that. So, I guess I am probably an intermediate knitter. I knit mainly socks, sweaters, hats, and I'm starting to really enjoy mittens, though I've only knitted one pair so far. I have knit the usual scarves, haven't knit toys yet or squares/afghans yet.


7. Do you have any favorite color combinations? Not really. I love color, so I love using LOTS of different colors!

Links to this post

Create a Link