« Home | more photos of FO's » | more photos » | photos » | yarn to trade » | this is the scrap socks tutorial » | socknitters SAM » | picture time » | stuff and nonsense » | yard saling » | favorite knitting needles »

the story of a sock

OK it'll be a long post today, I think.

First of all, Friday we spent the night at my parents house. I knitted in the dark, outside on my parents three seasons porch, surrounded by candles, and finished up my blue/green elann sock it to me socks. They are done! I'll scan them sometime & put them up. They are toe up, straight st st until after the heel turn, and then I did various stitch patterns & ribbings for the leg.

So, Saturday morning Jon & I left to meet my parents in CT for the falcon show in Vernon. They paid for us to go as an early anniversary present. On the way down, I knit this:Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usbut before we got there, I realized the toe was a disaster: too loose, the figure 8 cast on was too many stitches, the increases were funny, etc. So I frogged.

And, unbelievably, that was THE ONLY KNITTING I DID ALL DAY! yes, I'm yelling - I know you all sympathize with me. It was horrible but I had absolutely no time for knitting.

So Sunday I was determined to rectify that. I knit wherever I went, and tried to take lots of pictures as I went along. It's the story of a sock!! I used purple silja for the toe & heel (and for the ribbing when I get that far) 60 stitches on size 1 needles. The body of the sock is hand dyed yarn (pictured earlier) to create stripes, I believe it was also silja yarn. My thoughts on silja? Don't ever buy it again, it splits, it's not terribly soft, it's thicker than I thought it would be (I think it's actually almost a sport weight, but nowhere does it say that on my package). Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So, here is the toe that I knit in the morning while getting dressed, packing to leave the hotel, and during breakfast:

and here's my darling Jon driving while I am knitting (ah, isn't he sweet??)
Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

and here I am knitting at Gillette Castle. Yes, I knit everywhere there! Unfortunately, my cheap digital camera & I disagreed with each other yesterday; I forgot to change the setting off of macro, so none of the photos of me socknitting there came out. My mom took a few of me, so hopefully I can get them from her and add to my sock journey adventure.

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us

So after we wandered the castle & the state park there, we headed down to the water for snacks & to read our books. Of course I wasn't putting down my knitting for NOTHING... here's where I am now:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usCan't really see it, can you?? But I am a little farther along on that endless sock toe.

Finally, after a few more adventures on the road, we were home, and here I am with my first sock, just about at the heel turn:

Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.usand soon to be joined by its mate: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us(the mate was finished this morning, just didn't take any photos of that one in progress)

So, here we are at the library this afternoon, I didn't have a chance to start the heel of this sock yet, but not for lack of trying: Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us


And in other news, here is one of my many knitting bags (this one I didn't actually pack with me this weekend as I knew I would need something tougher):Free Image Hosting at www.ImageShack.us My aunt, the ever so talented quilter Laurie, made bags for everyone last Christmas. Mine of course became a knitting bag. Each bag was different & is reversible. Mine has crazy cats on it, and has several perfectly sized pockets. It's a beautiful bag, and really big & great for large sized or many, many socks in progress, but it's got to be used with loving care, so I only use it in cases where I won't be dragging it in & out of the truck all day, leaving it in the dirt at a falcon show, etc... I.e. it's mainly my "home" or "over to my parents' house" knitting bag.

Links to this post

Create a Link